If your home was built before the 1990’s in the Flower Mound, TX area, there is a good chance that you have the dreaded popcorn texture on your ceilings. Popcorn ceilings can be dingy, collect dirt and cobwebs, stain easily, and flake off if water gets behind. Now we all know that one of the easiest and more affordable ways to improve the look and value of your home is by painting, but did you know that removal of the popcorn can be just as easy and cost effective?
If you are planning on staying in your home and want to bring it up to date, or are selling and want your home to stand out amongst the rest, then you should consider scraping off the popcorn.
- The first step is to remove furniture and completely cover the area to keep the debris confined to a specific area. This is key. We cover all flooring with high grade material to protect your wood, carpet, and tile.
- Next we wet the popcorn ceiling with a small water sprayer. The key to removal is to keep the ceiling wet. This will keep dust down tremendously and make scraping a much, much easier process.
- Carefully scrape away the popcorn without damaging the drywall underneath.
- Use drywall compound to touch up any areas that need it. Tape and bed areas as needed, cracks repaired with fiberglass tape, screws applied to loose sheetrock.
- The fifth step is to apply your selected texture. We typically spray on a light orange peel or knockdown texture.
- Next we prime and paint the ceiling after the texture is fully dry.
- Lastly, clean up and inspection!